Sizing A Quilt
Enter finished sizes for block width and length. Enter number of blocks across and down. After entering the block Width and Height, click the Calculate button. Sashing is placed on all sides of the blocks. Works for inches and centimeters.
Block Width and Height finished size:
Enter the number of blocks across and down
Optional - Enter Sash width and Border width
How Much Fabric Do I Need - Patches
Two Important Notes:
- The calculator is based on a usable fabric width of 42". Most likely you can use more of the width but I like to prewash my fabric and cut off the selvages. This gives me the extra I might need.
- The amount of fabric needed is the exact amount needed. You should purchase more than this just to be sure.
Start With A Patch
Example 1: A Square
Now we want to see how much fabric we need to cut 27 of these squares. Go to the calculator and enter these three numbers:
- Enter 5.5 in Lengthwise Grain
- Enter 5.5 in Crosswise Grain
- Enter 27 in Number needed
Enter the number of patches needed:
Cut strips @ inches x WOF
Sub-cut each strip into segments of inches.
For a total of pieces.
Fabric needed: inches OR approx. yards.