SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Prayers and Quilts

I haven't posted for a while because my Mother has been very ill.....actually she is dying from cancer. There, I did it. I actually typed out the words. She has been under hospice care for about a month and each day she gets worse and worse. She has been a breast cancer survivor for the past 15 years and for that time she has been blessed with a mostly healthy, active and happy life but the past two years have been extremely hard.

She was active in the Prayer Quilt Ministry at her church. She started making prayer quilts after she received one during one of her early chemo sessions. The quilt gave her comfort because she knew other people were praying for her. She made and prayed over literally hundreds of quilts. I made several trips to the fabric store with her where she carefully chose coordinating fabrics for each quilt. When one of my friends was going through a divorce, my friend gave me boxes and boxes of fabric which I gave to Mom for the prayer quilts. Mom gave my friend a prayer quilt. Two years ago when the cancer came back, Mom couldn't make any more prayer quilts.

I have made or quilted many Quilt of Valor quilts and helped with lots of prayer quilts and each time it warms my heart to know that I might be giving comfort to a stranger who needs it. If you are a praying person, please put my family on your list. Also consider making and giving a Quilt of Valor or contributing your time to a prayer quilt ministry or to a community service project with your guild.

Carol Thelen

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE