SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Seven Ways to Quilt Blocks That Lay Flat

Use Good Rotary Cutting Techniques


Take a little extra time to straighten the fabric edge as you rotary cut. Make sure each piece of fabric you cut is the size it's supposed to be. I good, inexpensive reference book is Rotary Cutting with Alex Anderson. Start off with solid rotary cutting techniques and you're on the right track to perfect piecing.




Backstitch Every Seam
When I started piecing quilt tops I was taught that backstitching was not needed. For the past twenty years or so I have not backstitched my quilt tops. Last October I took a class from Jacqueline de Jonge. Her company is called Be Colourful and she paper pieces bright, colorful quilts. She told us she always back stitches so I tried it and I love the results.The backstitching keeps the pieces together and keeps the block nice and square, no flapping edges. Oh I see you making that face! Try it on your next quilt top and see if it works for you.

Sew a Scant 1/4" Seam
When I first saw the word "scant" I had to look it up. It means "just barely" or "just enough". I take that to mean err on the side of a smaller seam allowance. I use a Janome 1/4" foot that has a "bumper" on it. It's a little piece of metal that glides along the edge of the fabric. This works better for me than trying to line up the edge of the fabric along a line or the edge of the presser foot.

Press, Press, Press
Always press each seam before stitching the next piece. Generally we stitch towards the dark fabric but sometimes that isn't always possible. Some quilters prefer steam but I like using a dry iron. I press from the right side. I'm not a fan of pressing seams open. I think it weakens the seam. TIP: Even thought I like using a dry iron I sometimes need a little steam so I keep a spray bottle of distilled water near the iron for those times I need steam. This is faster than pouring water in the iron and waiting for it to heat up.

Cut Off The Nubs
Nubs are those pesky little points that peek out over the seam allowance. You generally get nubs when sewing triangle shapes or diagonal seams. There are little rulers or templates you can use to cut off the points but I find it easier to snip off nubs as I piece. Nubs just get in the way and can affect accuracy of subsequent seams.



If you prefer to use a template to cut off the nubs before they get in the way a good tool is the Corner Trimmer by Marti Michell.




Check the Size
Those grid lines printed on the cutting mat are life savers for me. After I press the seams, I spot check blocks by placing them along the grid lines on the cutting mat. If you've cut the pieces accurately and used a scant 1/4" seam allowance, your block should have straight edges and be the correct size. Here is your chance to use your seam ripper!!

Square It Up
If you have one, use a square up ruler to square up all the edges of the block. If you have points along the edge of the block, check that the point is exactly 1/4" from the edge of the block. This will give you nice points when the blocks are sewn together.

Happy Quilting!
Carol Thelen

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE