SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fire Island Hosta Piecing Continues.....

I didn't do a good job of keeping track of the hours I spent piecing Fire Island Hosta these past few days but a lot has gotten accomplished.



I finished piecing the Spikey Leaf units.


And started the Clam Shell  Border

The instructions for piecing the Clam Shell border call for strip piecing where the papers are placed along a strip of fabric then cut off. I am not a fan of this technique because I find it difficult to handle the large papers and long strips of fabric. So what I did was cut the strips into pieces and pieced them in the "usual" paper piecing method.



This is a close up of preparing the next section. A very light fabric is being sewn next to a very dark fabric. Instead of lining up the edges of both fabrics I place the light fabric slightly above the dark. I do this to prevent shadowing once the piece is sewn and pressed.



Here is the Clam Shell Border finished.

So far this quilt is going together easily. the Spikey Leaf was a little time consuming but nothing hard.

Fire Island Hosta 74" x 74"
Fire Island Hosta 100" x 100"  



Happy Quilting!
Carol Thelen

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE