SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Monday, May 10, 2021

Throw Yourself a Cutting Party!

 If you have been quilting for more than a few years, you probably have fabric scraps busting out at the seams. I know I do! Scrap quilts to the rescue. I have made about 6 scrap quilts this year and still have more fabric.


This is a scrap quilt made with 4" finished half square triangles.

 A cutting party is where you make a list of quilts to make, sort your scraps then cut the pieces you need. Here is what I do.

Plan Your Quilts and Cutting Requirements

Here are the quilts I have planned and the size strips I need for each.

Bowtie Quilt
I have a large piece of wide backing fabric I want to use for the background of each block. Those strips are cut 3-1/2".

For each of the accent fabrics (the bowties) I need one strip @ 3-1/2" x WOF and one strip @ 2" x WOF. I know I need a piece of fabric at least 5-1/2". Since this is the accent fabric, I don't want anything too light in color.

Rectangle Quilt
This quilt is made using 1-1/2" x 2-1/2" rectangles. It has a background fabric that is light in color. For the accent fabrics I need medium to dark fabric strips 5-1/4" x WOF.

Apple Core Quilt
For this quilt I need light, medium and dark strips that are 7-1/4" x WOF.

Two-Block Scrap Quilt

For this quilt I need 1-1/2" x WOF strips in medium to dark fabrics.

Other Cuts

In addition to the cuts above, depending on the size of the scrap, I will cut fat quarters and 10-1/2" x WOF strips for 10" squares.

I have so many odd size strips and wonky pieces. I will keep these in another container for string quilts and crumb quilts.

Sort Your Scraps

I don't really have a sorting system. I try to use the "touch it once" rule. I pick up the first fabric in the stack and decide where it goes. In the picture below I have 2-1/2" strips in the upper left, string/charm pieces on the upper right and several other stacks I can't remember right now! You get the idea. Do a quick sort to see what you have.

If I have a large piece of fabric, I start with the largest width strips first and keep cutting until the fabric is used up. The tail end often goes into the Strings and Crumbs container.

Cut Your Strips

Now I take the sorted stacks and start cutting strips. The picture below shows the stacks of cut strips.


From right to left: 10-1/2" strips for 10" squares, 7-1/2" strips for apple core, 5-1/2" strips for rectangles and the matching 3-1/2" and 2" strips for the bow ties. Once the strips are cut. it's time to GO! to the fabric cutter.


I take one stack and start cutting. the container on the right is from the dollar store. As I cut, I place the pieces there. Later I divide them out to plastic shoe box containers or zip loc bags.

There it is! The idea is to watch the scraps in containers go down but somehow it seems they just keep multiplying....I see more cutting parties in my future!

Check out the AccuQuilt Cutters and Dies here -->  Click Here

Happy quilting!
Carol



Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE