Twinkle Star was designed by Judy and Bradley Niemeyer for paper piecing. The pattern uses basic paper piecing techniques that can be applied to many Quiltworx lone star projects. This is a great introductory pattern for learning how Quiltworx lone star quilts are made in a small project that can be completed very quickly.
This tutorial includes 22 videos and instructions for paper piecing the Twinkle Star quilt designed by Quiltworx.
You must purchase the Twinkle Star pattern in addition to these instructional materials.
- Twinkle Star Pattern by Quiltworx (required)
- Fabric – requirements shown on pattern
- Permanent marker or ink pen
- 45mm and/or 60 mm rotary cutter with fresh blade
- 6-1/2" x 12-1/2" ruler or larger
- Cutting mat at least 18" x 24"
- Quality 50wt cotton thread
- Sewing machine with open toe foot and 1/4" foot
- Small scissors to use at the sewing machine
- Larger scissors for cutting paper
- Add-A-Quarter ruler, 12"
- Template plastic about 3" x 12"
- Wash out glue such as Elmer's or UHU used to glue fabric to paper
- Glue Pen such as Sew Line, Fons & Porter used to glue fabric to fabric
- That Purple Thang for curved piecing
- Jumbo paper clips
- 3-ring binder, 3/4" or 1" size
- 9 sheet protectors
- 7 one-gallon-size Ziploc™ or store brand plastic bags. Use a pen or marker to label these bags A1 B1, B2, CL1, CL2, CR1 and CR2
Lesson 1: Preparing to Piece
PREPARE THE INSTRUCTIONS
The instructions for this project are 16 pages long and you will be flipping back and forth through them multiple times. To protect the instructions from loss or damage they can be placed in a binder with sheet protectors. Additionally, this is the time you should check for any corrections issued by Quiltworx for your pattern. The next video describes in detail how to prepare your binder.
To Do List:
- Check for corrections on the Quiltworx website - Twinkle Star Pattern Corrections.
- Highlight sections in the instructions per the table below.
- Set up your binder and sheet protectors.
UNDERSTANDING QUILTWORX PAPERS
PAPERS IN BAGS
- Cut out the papers and place them in bags.
Lesson 2: Fabric
Lesson 3: Lone Star Unit
- Preparing Paper and Fabric
- Paper Piecing
- Assemble the units