SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Friday, January 15, 2021

Two Simple Scrap Quilts

 I'm working on two scrap quilts using the same block... a 2" x 4" finished rectangle. I ran out of enough variety so I'm cutting more from the mountain of scraps I have.


I used my AccuQuilt 8" Qube rectangle die to cut the 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangles. I have been cutting these from scraps off and on for about a year. After cutting, I put them in a little container from the dollar store.



I waited until I had a good amount and variety before starting. I want both quilts to be 60" x 80".



I take a handful of the cut pieces and pile them on the sewing machine then begin piecing.


First Quilt - All Scraps

For the first quilt I sew two pieces together and press the seam.


Make 15 of these.

Next, I set them in a rail fence pattern across the row. 



I always press towards the vertical fabric. This allows me to interlock the seams as I sew the rows together later.

When I have a few minutes to sew, I make another row and stitch it to the previous one. Generally, I can do one row in the morning and another in the evening. Well, that's my goal at least!

I make a total of 20 rows. If I keep to my daily goal, I have a finished quilt top in 10 days! Today I am about 2/3 finished with this one. Here is my progress so far.


For a 60" x 80" quilt you will need 600 rectangles cut 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" and about a half yard for binding.

Second Quilt - Half Scrappy

For this quilt, same size as above, I alternated a scrap piece and a background piece. You'll need about 2-3/4 yards of fabric for the background and binding. Cut 300 rectangles of the background and 300 from scraps. Sew a scrap piece to a background piece.

Make 15 of these.

Now, alternate the background and scrap pieces to sew a row.


Press toward the background fabric. When you stitch the rows together be sure to alternate placement of the background pieces in a checkerboard pattern.

I have been piecing these two quilts at the same time because it is all rectangles. I'm about 2/3 finished with this one as well.


I placed my rectangles vertically. There are plenty of other layout options. You could place the pieces horizontally or place them in a stair step pattern.

My plan for this weekend is to ramp up production and finish both quilt tops. I'll have more pictures when the quilting is done. Take a look at the Bargain Bin for $7 per yard fabrics and more!

Happy quilting!
Carol

For more project tutorials and videos:

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE