Chain piecing is a method of speed piecing where segments of fabric are fed into the sewing machine one after the other without stopping to cut the threads. This produces a chain of sewn segments that are then cut apart and pressed.
Chain Piecing Steps
Here are the steps to accomplish the chain piecing technique:
- Have all your fabric pieces cut and stacked next to your sewing machine.
- Grab a fabric off the top of each stack and place them together for piecing.
- Sew the first two pieces together but do not clip the threads after sewing.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Cut the thread and remove the pieces from the sewing machine.
- Use a thread cutter to quickly cut the threads between the sewn pieces.
Because chain piecing is a time-saving technique, use a stationary thread cutter such a the two shown below. These cutters enable you to quickly cut the threads. Otherwise, use thread snips or scissors to get the job done.
For more project tutorials and videos:Subscribe to QuiltNotes on YouTube
Subscribe to our blog newsletter