SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Monday, February 1, 2021

Mini Trunk Show - Four Scrap Quilts

These four scrap quilts were all made using the same process of cutting scraps as I finish projects. Sometimes I just cut scraps for the fun of it. Most of the quilts I make are about 60" x 80".

This 60 second video shows the process I used for all these quilts.

Just Squares

The first quilt is made entirely of 2" finished squares. Over the years I have made about 4 or 5 of these quilts. They were either Quilts of Valor or just given to family or friends. I might keep this one...




The quilting pattern is called Double Bubble by Patricia E. Ritter


The quilting thread is Signature Cotton 40wt Variegated called Fad Five

The binding is Spotted Christmas Red by Zen Chic from Moda Fabrics. The wide backing is from Blender Dots by Choice Fabrics. 

For a binding tutorial, visit Attaching Straight Binding.

You are not limited  to 2" finished squares. I have used 3", 4", 5" and 6" squares to make Quilts of Valor. Add borders if you like.

Scrap Rail

I was getting bored with squares so I started cutting 2-1/2" x 4-1/2" rectangles and throwing those into a container.


 I stitched two pieces together to make a rail fence block then alternated the layout in the rows.



The quilting pattern is called Any Which Way by Jessica Schnick. 


The quilting thread is Signature Cotton 40wt Variegated Fad Five.



Scrap Rail With Background

As I was piecing the quilt above I discovered some yardage of Bella Solids Dove by Moda Fabrics. It  was intended for another project, but at the time, I decided to use a different fabric for that project.



 I decided to use this as a background and alternate a scrap rectangle with a background rectangle.


I wanted the rectangles to stand up so I pieced them vertically in the rows.


The quilting pattern is called Atta A Boy by Anne Bright.


The quilting thread is Signature Cotton 40wt Dolphin.


The backing fabric has been in my stash for many years and I don't know the designer.

Tumbler Quilt

The last quilt in this trunk show is the Tumbler block. 



I used the AccuQuilt Tumbler Die 3" finished to cut all of these pieces. With this die I could cut up to 18 pieces at once.


I was able to cut up odd shaped pieces of fabric using this die. I just put the smaller pieces over the shape and cut one or two. This made it easier to use those scraps left over from applique projects.


The quilting design is Daisy Doodles by Apricot Moon.


The quilting thread is Signature Cotton 40wt Fad Five...so good for scrap quilts!


The binding fabric is Spotted Royal by Zen Chic for Moda Fabrics. The backing is Blender Dots wide backing by Choice Fabrics.

Hope you enjoyed this little trunk show and that you are inspired to make your own easy scrap quilt!

Happy quilting!
Carol



For more project tutorials and videos:

Subscribe to QuiltNotes on YouTube

Subscribe to our blog newsletter

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE