SUBSCRIBE

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Starry Path Quilt Using AccuQuilt


The first quilt I made for my daughter used this block. It was finished in March of 1994. I don't recall actually piecing the quilt but I probably used cardboard or plastic templates I traced from a magazine. then cut them out.

Here is that quilt today.


You can't see the border too well from this picture, but each of the four accent fabrics are used to make the four 2" borders. 

Back then I made quilt labels from cross stitch lettering.


These days, it's a miracle if I even think to attach a label, much less actually do it!

Now, 27 years later, I have made a quilt from the same block. Only this time I used the Starry Path die from AccuQuilt and I used about 12 to 15 different accent fabrics.



The star fabrics for this quilt are from the Shine On Collection by Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics. The background is Ombre Fairy Dust by V & Co. for Moda Fabrics. For this quilt I used about 12-15 different accent fabrics and one background fabric.

Don't Have An AccuQuilt Yet? - Download the free template and instructions for the Starry Path Block for Jenny Beyer -- Download Block Instructions

TIP:  For most projects, I like to cut enough  fabric for a block or two and make a test block. I want to be sure the blocks will go together correctly before cutting up all the fabric.

The Starry Path die is one of the many Block on Board (BOB) dies from AccuQuilt. This means that all the pieces for one block are on one die board.


Pieces A and C are the background fabrics and pieces B and D are the accent fabrics.

When cutting background fabrics, you will cut pieces 10-1/4" x 4". These pieces are stacked RIGHT SIDES UP over the A and C sections on the die.


When cutting accent fabrics you will cut pieces 7-1/2" x 6". These pieces are stacked RIGHT SIDES UP over the B and D sections on the die.



Finished size of block: 9"
Number of blocks: 48
Finished size of Quilt:  54" x 72"

Fabric Requirements & Cutting

For this scrappy quilt, I used about 12 to 15 different accent fabrics. To cut one block you will need 4 pieces of background fabric and 4 pieces of accent fabric. For the quilt you will need 192 pieces of accent fabric and 192 pieces of background fabric.

As you cut the fabric, stack all the A's together, all the B's together and so on. Don't worry about separating the accent fabrics at this time. Just cut and stack!

For the accent fabrics: total of 6 yards
  • cut 20 strips @ 10-1/4" x WOF.
  • sub cut strips into 4" segments for a total of 192 pieces.

For the background fabric - 6 yards

  • cut 28 strips @ 7-1/2" x WOF
  • sub cut strips into 6" segments for a total of 192 pieces.

Binding - 1/2 yard

Backing - 3-1/2 yards

Piecing The Blocks

The video below shows how I pieced this block.




For more project tutorials and videos:

Subscribe to our blog newsletter

Subscribe here

Subscribe to this blog - CLICK HERE